10 Oct

Toxic Human Foods For Dogs

1.Chocolate – Although many humans may enjoy chocolate, it can be deadly if your dog eats it. Theobromine and  caffeine in the chocolate is what makes it deadly for dogs. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is for dogs.

How it harms your dog: abdominal pains, vomiting, muscle tremors, irregular heart rhythm, elevated body temperature, seizures and death.

2. Garlic – This is another food you want to keep away from your dog at all times. Garlic is classified as a species of the Allium family. Other species in the Allium family include onions, shallots, leeks and chives. Unfortunately, dogs and cats cannot digest these particular plants as we can. The ingestion of Allium species in dogs causes a condition called hemolytic anemia, which is characterized by the bursting of red blood cells circulating through your pet’s body.

How it harms your dog: While the effect of garlic consumption to red blood cells won’t appear for a few days in dogs, they’ll be tired and reluctant to move. The dog’s urine will be orange to dark red in color. A blood transfusion might be required in severe cases.

 

 

3. Grapes- Although grapes are healthy for humans, grapes can be extremely toxic to dogs. It doesn’t matter whether the grapes were grown in your own garden or were commercially grown, nor whether they are seeded or seedless. While its currently unknown what chemicals and compounds are in grapes that cause toxicity to dogs, the results of consumption can be pretty devastating.

How it harms your dog: Grapes and have recently been associated with the development of kidney failure in dogs.  Some dogs eat these fruits and experience no ill effects—but then eat them later on and become very ill. Until the cause of the toxicosis is better identified, the safest course of action is to avoid feeding grapes to your dog. Dogs experiencing grape or raisin toxicosis usually develop vomiting, lethargy or diarrhea within 12 hours of ingestion. As signs progress, dogs become increasingly lethargic and dehydrated, refuse to eat and may show a transient increase in urination followed by decreased or absent urination in later stages. Death due to kidney failure may occur within three to four days, or long-term kidney disease may persist in dogs who survive the acute intoxication. Successful treatment requires prompt veterinary treatment to maintain good urine flow.

4. Xylitol-  Xylitol is a artificle sweetener that is widely used in sugar-free gum, sugar free mints, as well as sugar substitute in foods.

How it harms your dog: Dogs ingesting items sweetened with Xylitol could develop a fairly sudden drop in blood sugar (hypoglycemia), vomiting, depression, loss of coordination and seizures. These signs can develop quite rapidly, at times less than 30 minutes after ingestion of the product.

5.Ethanol (Also Known as Ethyl Alcohol, Grain Alcohol or Drinking Alcohol). Ethanol is an alcohol that is used commonly as a solvent (liquid that dissolves) in medications and is the major ingredient of alcoholic beverages. It’s also called ethyl alcohol and grain alcohol. Toxicity occurs in dogs when an excessive amount is ingested, and can cause a wide variety of signs, including death. 

How it harms your dog: Weakness and slow movements, fainting, panting, lethargy, dehydration and foam around the mouth are just some of the serious side effects from ingesting ethanol.

 

 

 

 

 

 

We offer services for

  • Dogs
  • Cats
  • Birds
  • Reptiles and Amphibians
  • Special Needs Pets
  • Caged Pets
  • Exotic Pets

What we do

  • Daily Dog Walking and Dog Running
  • Cat Care
  • Vacation Pet Care
  • Overnight Pet Sitting
  • Pet Taxi
  • House Sitting
  • Pet Supply Pick Up
  • Midday Relief
  • Food, Treats, and Fresh Water

Contact Me !

Fields marked with an * are required
Fill out the form or   Send us a message